English name: Palmer Gardens
Kaurna name: Pangki Pangki (a Kaurna tracker and guide who assisted early European settlers)
Features: wide axial pedestrian pathway (from the 1860's) connecting Kermode St to the Christ Church laneway; a massive sugar gum tree, probably dating from the 1870's or 80's; and cast iron bollards dating from 1922.
Bounded by: Palmer Place
See APPA's Park 28 photo album:
Park 28 was named after South Australian Colonisation Commissioner Colonel George Palmer (1799-1883). The Mid-Murray town of Palmer, just east of the Adelaide Hills region, is also named after the Colonel.
There's a brass plaque on a Victorian-era park bench celebrates a breakthrough by a German-born Adelaide scientist, Albert Koebele, in 1888 with the first biological control of insects that started with a discovery in this Park