English name: Bonython Park (plus smaller parts named Kate Cocks Park and Helen Mayo Park)
Kaurna name: Tulya Wardli (meaning "Police home")
Features: Bonython Park playspace, picnic facilities, model boat pond, site for circuses and other major outdoor events, the old Adelaide Gaol, Billabong, Olive grove and SA Police barracks, including horse paddock for police "greys"
Bounded by: North Terrace, Port Road, and the River Torrens/Karrawirra Parri
APPA’s Park Ambassador, Shane Sody leads a guided walk in this Park once per year , usually in autumn. Check the schedule of Guided Walks or take your own self-guided walk at any time, using ‘Adelaide City Explorer’. See below,
This park has suffered from massive alienation of land - losing many hectares to railyards, police barracks, the Royal Adelaide Hospital, the SAMRI centre etc.
From 1837 up until the late 1950s this area was used and abused for many purposes, and rarely resembled a park.
It was only in the late 1950s that a determined effort was made to turn it into a Park, before finally gaining its current name of Bonython Park in the 1960s.
Prior to this it was known as “Hemsley’s Paddock” after the Clerk of the Sheep and Cattle Market that operated in this area.