You can make a difference. Here are 11 things you can do to help save the Adelaide Park Lands for future generations.
1. GET OUR NEWSLETTER
Hopefully you're already on the distribution list for our monthly e-Gazette. If not, get on it! If you are on it, tell your friends about it. We don't use your email address to spam you, and we certainly don't pass on your email address to anyone else!
You'll get just one email newsletter per month, jam-packed with information about the Adelaide Park Lands. It's the best way to find out what's happening (both IN the Park Lands and TO the Park Lands) and get updates on how you can help.
Here's the link to sign-on: http://eepurl.com/bJVvzD
You can check out and search past issues of the e-Gazette on our Newsletters page.
2. SIGN AND SHARE OUR PETITIONS
Currently we have two identical petitions: one directed to the Premier, Jay Weatherill and the other directed to Opposition leader Steven Marshall, calling on each of them (separately) to 'Keep Public Land Public'
- Sign the petition to Jay Weatherill here:
- Sign the petition to Stephen Marshall here:
3. TAKE PHOTOS
Email any of your favourite Park Lands photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can credit you as the photographer if you like, or you can stay anonymous if you prefer.
4. WATCH & share OUR VIDEOs
Adelaide - you need VIBRANCY! And we can sell it to you!
This is just one of more than a dozen videos on APPA'S YouTube "channel". We are compiling a video record of the Park Lands with a new video every month, featuring each Park within the Park Lands, in numerical order. Please share this video link on your Facebook page, and/or other social media, or email the video link to your friends, relatives, workmates etc.
6. JOIN APPA
Annual membership starts at $25 (single adult) or $15 (concession).
7. BECOME A PARK "AMBASSADOR"
APPA has appointed a number of Park Ambassadors - for some of the 30 named Parks, and we want to appoint more.
Just nominate your favourite Park or Parks (or a Square) that you regularly go to, and you can become the APPA "go to" person for that place. Since you already love "your" Park, your role will be easy. You'll be asked to:
- visit once a month and report (through the e-Gazette editor) on anything good or bad (maybe just the changing of the seasons) that's noticeable in "your" Park;
- take photos of "your" Park - and submit the best (just one per month) for publication as APPA's Photo of the Day soon afterwards;
- just once per year, offer to take others on a scheduled walking tour of "your" park, pointing out highlights. If you don't have a preference for any particular Park, we can assign you to one for which the Guided Walk notes have already been prepared.
To join the team, email email@example.com
8. USE SOCIAL MEDIA
"Like” APPA on Facebook, and/or follow APPA on Instagram, Twitter, or Flickr). This will allow you to see (and share) our 'Adelaide Parklands Photo of the Day' every day, and much more. Share, re-tweet, or re-post from APPA's social media posts to your friends (maybe not everyday, but at least sometimes!)
Mere "clicktivism" is OK as far as it goes, but it's not enough, on its own, to achieve Park Lands protection. It's even better to have you, our supporter, putting well-chosen arguments, facts and figures before the City Council, the State Government or the wider public.
APPA always welcomes supporters writing:
- letters to newspapers e.g. InDaily, Adelaide Now/The Advertiser, the City Messenger
- letters to Ministers who are contemplating developments on Park Lands (see our 'current issues' page for suggestions)
- posts on any public web page, especially in response to others' ill-informed misconceptions about the Park Lands;
- submissions on any Park Lands issues where the State Government or the Adelaide City Council is seeking public feedback.
If you're stuck for words, you'll find the material on our Fictions and Facts page is a great resource for rebutting Park Lands misconceptions, or providing context.
10. PUT YOUR SKILLS TO GOOD USE
- Are you a good networker? We could use your assistance to link APPA with other organisations.
- Can you read a map? We could use your help to update Google Maps with correct Park Lands names and pictures.
- Can you raise funds? APPA could do with your support on a revenue sub-committee.
- Do you have school-aged children? We would love to have parents getting their children's teachers and classmates interested in Adelaide's unique heritage.
- Are you an Arts student at university? Perhaps you could set your sights on a Masters thesis, updating the history of the Park Lands.
- Are you a trivia buff? Or a function organiser? APPA would love your assistance to organise an annual quiz night.
If any of these roles (or other special talents of yours) could help APPA, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org