You can make a difference. Here are 11 things you can do to help save the Adelaide Park Lands for future generations.
1. BECOME A PARK 'AMBASSADOR'
In a new initiative, APPA is looking to appoint 36 separate Park Ambassadors - one for each Park and square.
Just nominate your favourite Park or Parks (or a Square) that you regularly go to, and you can become the APPA "go to" person for that place. Since you already love "your" Park, your role will be easy. You'll be asked to:
- have your name and contact details listed on the APPA website as the Ambassador for "your" park;
- visit once a month and report (through the e-Gazette editor) on anything good or bad (maybe just the changing of the seasons) that's noticeable in "your" Park;
- take photos of "your" Park - and submit the best (just one per month) for publication as APPA's Photo of the Day soon afterwards;
- just once per year, offer to take others on a scheduled walking tour of "your" park, pointing out highlights.
For more details see the story in our February 2017 e-Gazette.
2. SIGN & SHARE A PETITION
Share either of our petitions on your own Facebook page, and/or email one of the links to your friends, relatives, workmates etc. and ask them to sign as well. Do you know anyone famous? Ask them to sign one of our petitions and tell their followers about it.
3. JOIN APPA
Annual membership starts at $25 (single adult) or $15 (concession).
4. WATCH & share OUR VIDEOs
Egypt is Selling off the Pyramids! - How could anyone be stupid enough to get rid of the one thing that makes a place unique?
This is the first of five videos on APPA'S YouTube "channel". Please share this video link on your Facebook page, and/or other social media, or email the video link to your friends, relatives, workmates etc.
6. USE SOCIAL MEDIA
"Like” APPA on Facebook, and/or follow APPA on Instagram, Twitter, or Flickr). This will allow you to see (and share) our 'Adelaide Parklands Photo of the Day' every day, and much more. Share, re-tweet, or re-post from APPA's social media posts to your friends (maybe not everyday, but at least sometimes!)
7. GROW OUR MAILING LIST
Hopefully you're already on the distribution list for our monthly e-Gazette. If not, get on it! If you are on it, tell your friends about it. We don't use your email address to spam you, and we certainly don't pass on your email address to anyone else!
You'll get just one email newsletter per month, jam-packed with information about the Adelaide Park Lands. It's the best way to find out what's happening, and get updates on how you can help.
Here's the link to sign-on: http://eepurl.com/bJVvzD
You can check out past issues of the e-Gazette on our archives page.
8. TAKE PHOTOS
Get your photos of the Park Lands into our Gallery. By sharing your love of the Park Lands, through your camera, you will be inspiring others to love and protect them too.
Email any of your favourite Park Lands photos to email@example.com. We can credit you as the photographer if you like, or you can stay anonymous if you prefer.
Mere "clicktivism" is OK as far as it goes, but it's not enough, on its own, to achieve Park Lands protection. It's even better to have you, our supporter, putting well-chosen arguments, facts and figures before the City Council, the State Government or the wider public.
APPA always welcomes supporters writing:
- letters to newspapers e.g. InDaily, Adelaide Now/The Advertiser, the City Messenger
- letters to Ministers who are contemplating developments on Park Lands (see our 'current issues' page for suggestions)
- posts on any public web page, especially in response to others' ill-informed misconceptions about the Park Lands;
- submissions on any Park Lands issues where the State Government or the Adelaide City Council is seeking public feedback.
If you're stuck for words, you'll find the material on our Fictions and Facts page is a great resource for rebutting Park Lands misconceptions, or providing context.
10. PUT YOUR SKILLS TO GOOD USE
- Are you a good networker? We could use your assistance to link APPA with other organisations.
- Can you read a map? We could use your help to update Google Maps with correct Park Lands names and pictures.
- Can you raise funds? APPA could do with your support on a revenue sub-committee.
- Do you have school-aged children? We would love to have parents getting their children's teachers and classmates interested in Adelaide's unique heritage.
- Are you an Arts student at university? Perhaps you could set your sights on a Masters thesis, updating the history of the Park Lands.
- Are you a trivia buff? Or a function organiser? APPA would love your assistance to organise an annual quiz night.
If any of these roles (or other special talents of yours) could help APPA, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
11. HELP A CURRENT CAMPAIGN