English name: King Rodney Park
Kaurna name: Ityamai-itpina (a Kaurna elder known to early European settlers as 'King Rodney')
Features: the 'Glover East Playspace' an olive grove dating from 1872, Botanic Creek, playing fields utilised by Christian Brothers College and others, 'a basketball court and skate park, blue gum trees bordering Wakefield Rd and an avenue of pepper trees, both dating from the early 1900's. This Park also plays a central role in three major annual sporting events: the cycling 'Tour Down Under' in January, the Adelaide 500 motor race in March, and the international equestrian three-day event in November.
Bounded by: Wakefield Road, East Terrace, Bartels Road, and Dequetteville Terrace.
Click on one of the images below to see the King Rodney Park /Ityamai-itpina (Park 15) photo album:
Thousands of people come through the park every day, commuting to or from the city. It is truly a family park, with almost 150,000 visits by kids using the playspace and ovals here each year.
King Rodney Park consists of an almost-rectangular block of land bounded by East Terrace, Dequetteville Terrace, Wakefield Road and Bartels Road. No boundary changes have occurred since the Park was first surveyed and it has retained its original shape and form as devised by Colonial Light in 1837.
In its early days after European settlement, this Park was colloquially known as ‘Bartel’s Park’. Bartels Park and Bartel's Road were named after Councillor and Mayor Adolph Bartel who served from 1871 to 1873.