English name: Peppermint Park
Kaurna name: Wita Wirra (meaning "peppermint place")
Himeji Japanese Garden
three sporting fields
native vegetation, and
the South Park Lands Creek.
Bounded by: Glen Osmond Road, Hutt Road and South Terrace
Click on one of the images below to see the Peppermint Park / Wita Wirra (Park 18) photo album:
This Park is only 8.6 hectares in size, making up not much more than 1% of the Adelaide Park Lands.
From the 1850s to the late 1870s it was used for grazing, fire wood collection, and agistment of stock. In the late 1860's after most of the native vegetation had been removed. it was fenced in white-painted timber post and wire.
It has been known as Park 18 since at least 1895. Its two names – 'Peppermint Park' and 'Wita Wirra' are much more recent. The Kaurna name Wita Wirra was assigned by the City Council in 2002. The title "Peppermint Park" is an English translation of the Kaurna name and was officially assigned to the Park only as recently as September 2017